Mail archive
acf

Re: [Acf] acf directories question

From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 16:51:22 +0200

On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 14:25 +0000, Nathan Angelacos wrote:
> Natanael, mainly:
>
> currently acf resides in /var/lib/acf
> configuration resides in /etc/acf/
>

> You had mentioned that since acf is an application, it really should be
> somewhere other than /var/lib. Where do you suggest it goes?
> /var/cache/acf? Somewhere else?

/usr somehwere? /usr/lib or /usr/share The idea is that you should be
able to mount /usr readonly. (readonly nfs for example)

> Also, you suggested moving the config from /etc/acf to /etc/conf.d/acf
> I couldn't find a reference to /etc/conf.d in the FHS. My
> understanding is /etc/conf.d is a gentoo "BSDism". Is that true?

Must be misunderstanding. /etc/conf.d is gentooism. The config options
for the init.d scripts should go into /etc/conf.d. For acf, /etc/acf is
just fine.

I think I mentioned sessions.d though. It should not go to /usr since it
needs to write data. /var somewhere. (/var/lib, /var/tmp, /var/cache)

> The config directory will not only contain the acf configuration
> directives, but also user accounts, and local changes to the
> authorization roles. Could you please explain why this should go in
> /etc/conf.d instead of /etc/acf?

I think useraccounts and auth roles maybe belongs to /var/lib. Its
application data (a database) for the acf app. We could put it
in /etc/for convenience so it get stored to floppy automatically with
lbu commit.