Mail archive
acf

[Acf] Describing dns configuration

From: Mika Havela <mika.havela_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:32:37 +0100

Hi!
I'm looking into acf-tinydns. I'm starting to get a picture on what is what.
But because there are so many options, I would like to hear your
opinion on how you see things.
If you could specify a information layout, then I would be really grateful.
This layout would help me to know how to display information, and how
I could design a configuration page. (I will give a example later on
in this mail)

For the moment, I'm reading all config-files in /etc/tinydns (and it's
subfolders).
I found out that /var/cache/tinydns/data holds the information that
tinydns is using at the moment... So for informational purpose, I
think it would be best to display the data on what tinydns knows at
the moment (that is... we present data from /var/cache/tinydns/data).
But when letting the user do it's configuration, then this information
should be based on the config-files in /etc/tinydns/ (and its
subfolders)
(Correct me if I'm wrong).
But the config-files in /etc/tinydns and the /var/cache/tinydns/data
holds information similar to each other... so by creating functions
for one config-file, will be useful for each config-file and for the
/var/cache/tinydns/data. (Just some info that I found out while
programming)

Just displaying rows (row by row) from the config-files would not help
the user to get a clear understanding on what is configured.
So if we put the information in different groups (and subgroups), then
it might be more understandable.
My thought is... At the "information" page, you display information
grouped like follows:
(This suggestion will clearly show my limited knowledge in tinydns
configuration - But that's where I hope your suggestions will
enlighten me.)

First we group things in the Location definition (ex,in,??).
Everything else is sectioned under one of these groups.
Next we group in Type of config ('.', '%', '+', '=',...)
Under each group "Type" we present the different objects and their
options (tts,IP,whatever)

I don't know in which order we should sort the different groups and
the items in the groups.
But I guess that the objects (the configuration) should be ordered per
domain-name and ordered most specific first, and less specific last.
(see next example)
  tmp.wiki.alpinelinux.org = 111.222.333.444
  dev.alpinelinux.org = 213.234.126.132
  alpinelinux.org = 208.74.141.33
  foo.bar.temp.net = 111.222.333.444
  bar.temp.net = 111.222.333.444
  temp.net = 111.222.333.444

Until now we only have mentioned how to "show" current configuration
in a understandable way.

Next we need to figure out how we could help the users to
1) Edit a existing configuration
2) Add new configuration (from scratch)
3) Delete a existing configuration
These above mentioned steps needs to be sectioned/displayed in a
understandable way.
But maybe if we find a good way of presenting the information (what we
talked about earlier), then maybe we just could add buttons like
[Edit] [Delete] next to each configuration object.
Then we could add a [Add object] next to each "Type of config" heading
(or something like that).

Any suggestions and ideas are welcome!

In the svn-tree you find the current status. There is a 'Status' tab,
showing information from the config - files (I know... I should fetch
this information from /var/cache/tinydns/data instead).
The output is limited (still waiting for your suggestions).
Next we have a 'Config' tab. The options there are also limited.
I'm working on the different functions that should handle/modify the
different configurations so we could display things in a
understandable way.

<<mika>>