Mail archive
acf

[acf] versioning suggestsion

From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:24:07 +0100

Hi,

How about making releases following this scheme for each acf project:

proj-X.Y.Z

Increase X when there are major changes, compatibility could be broken
(i.e like when roles changed), complete rewrites etc. Branching might be
considered. (for example we might want support both acf-1.x and acf-2.x
for some time)

Increase Y when there are minor changes, new features but upgrades
should be painless. There is a small chance for new bugs.

Increase Z when there are bugfixes only, no new features are added.
Upgrades should be painless and there should not be any new bugs. (but a
small risk will always be there of course)

The purpose is that when looking at the release notes you can get an
idea how big the changes are. You can calculate how much time you can
expect to use for the upgrade. It will also give an idea where/when
things happens. (what was the release when we added that feature? it
cannot be in x.y.2 because that was a bugfix release only)

What do you think about that?