Mail archive
acf

[acf] migrating from svn to git

From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 13:30:08 +0100

Hi,

I'm working on migrating the ACF svn repo to git. I have done some tests
that are available on http://git.alpinelinux.org

For you who have ssh access you can clone the repo with:

  git clone ssh://git.alpinelinux.org/gitroot/<project>

Otherwise, use the git clone link showed on the web page:

  git clone git://git.alpinelinux.org/<project>

In subversion "tags" are techincally branches and I know that some
commits were done in the tag after the tag was done.

So what I did was convert the repo and checkout each tags/release-*
branch and created a git tag of the latest commit in each tags/release-*
branch. (normally there is only one, but...)

I'm not sure if we are interested in keeping all those branches so we
should probably just figure out which specific commit in trunk (master)
that was branches to tags/release-* and tag this commit. Not really sure
how to do this though. That way we would end up with only one branch
(master) and lots of tags.

Please note that cgit will create a distribution packe on-the-fly from a
tag. It means, to make a release, just create a tag and youre basicly
done. (awesome!)

Feel free to play around with the git repos and continue commit
production stuff to svn. Once we figured out how to do this properly we
should proably start over and migrate from svn from scratch.