Mail archive
acf

[acf] Web UI Design Principles

From: Timo Teräs <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 15:09:18 +0200

Hi all,

I'm planning to:
 1. Clean up the Network->Interfaces module
 2. Clean up / fix acf-dnsmasq
 3. Write an acf to do updates of USB / CF from ISO image
    (via HTTP form file upload or HTTP UTL to get)
 4. Write a new acf for something I need

And I wanted to get some clean design principles on what we should look
like. I'm currently doing my testing using mhavela's "wik" theme which I
find very nice.

But now I'm a bit puzzled on how certain things should be displayed.
So I'd hope to get us started on "policy how to design acf UI". Below
are the first, most important items we need to focus on.

--
There's (at least) three different UIs for creating a new thing X in acf
currently:
 1. Create New Interface. It's a tab of it's own under
Network>Interfaces. The tab is visible, and has the form for creating thing.
 2. Create New Cron Job. Is System>Cron, Jobs tab. It lists all the jobs
which exist. But also embeds the full form to create a new job.
 3. Create New User. Is in System>Users, Administration tab. You first
need to click the 'Create' button which takes you to new tab (which is
not displayed at al). There you have the form to create new thing.
 4. And I believe ACF-tinydns has row based thing where you can click
+/- icons to add or remove entries
We should fix ACF to follow consistent way to do similar things. Which
one would be the preferred choice for "creating a new thing X"?
--
Additionally, there was some recent changes on changing links to buttons
in certain places. Do we have a guideline set when to use hyperlink, and
when to use a form button?
--
There's certain elements duplicated in a lot of places that IMHO
makes the interfaces confusing.
Tdtrask already added init.d control-panel to the generic 'status' tab.
And I started removing the control-panel from the expert tab and some
other places. So we probably need 'Save and reload' button next to
'Save' so that user won't need to navigate back and forth to status page
to do the restart.
Also, currently some information in the 'General health' is duplicated
in all over other ACF's. I'm mostly annoyed by the 'Modules' section,
but there's some tidying up in other places too. Do you have any ideas
how to clean up those things?
--
And re: acf for updating firmware from ISO image. I'd like to probably
make it part of alpine-conf and rename the "System>Local backups" as