Mail archive
acf

Re: [alpine-devel] Re: [acf] Ideas for a new config framework, ACF2

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:58:22 +0100

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 15:52:37 +0100
Jerry Jacobs <xor.gate.engineering_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> As i'm mostly a debian user I still like the ACF framework and kind of
> works on debian.

Kind of? What are the problems?

> I created some modules for it (apache2, paco, dpkg,
> git) and was not that hard. It would be nice to see the ACF2 framework
> also not to distro-centric where possible. Of course Alpine has a
> lightweight philosophy.

We are evaluating use of augeas which will consume 1MB+. It will still
be less than php/python/perl/ruby.

> Maybe you could consider like before a
> "baselayout" which is distro-centric. Then people can branch this repo
> and create there own.

Yes. I hope we can make it even more distro agnostic.

> When the framework is rewritten it should be as pluggable as possible
> and with documentation and examples which is currently missing.

Yes, it will be modular.

> There is also another nice javascript project:
> http://silkjs.net

Looks like javascript for backend. hmm. not sure i like that idea.

> and another Lua-like (based) lightweight programming
> language http://www.squirrel-lang.org which could be considered.

squirrel-lang looks actually very nice. But i could not find any
modules/bindings?

Thanks for sharing!