Mail archive
acf

[acf] Re: [alpine-devel] Ideas for a new config framework, ACF2

From: V.Krishn <vkrishn4_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 19:39:19 +0530

On Wednesday, December 05, 2012 01:27:09 PM you wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2012, V.Krishn wrote:
> > Can we know what frameworks/components are involved.
> > Few that I could get from the thread:
> > 1. bootstrap
> > 2. backbonejs, requirejs
> > 3. lua
> > 4. minihttpd
> > 5. json libs
> > 6. sqlite
> > 7. augeas
> >
> > Any thoughts on tir (lua+mongrel2+zeromq) ?
>
> I used Tir as part of the first prototype before writing the
> proposal. This was in May, but afterward we decided to opt for full
> client-side implementation for the web UI, whereas Tir seems to target
> server-side web applications. Even for those, the value add was rather
> thin, which is quite natural because the author advertises to use only
> 1300 lines of code.

Having a backed lua framework would be nice.
Tir could be adopted/modified as a base.

> The proposal mentions Backbone.js, but after a second prototyping
> round I feel that this library creates more problems than provides
> solutions, at least in this context. Backbone's data model is rather
> limited in comparison to what is proposed for the new ACF. For
> example, Backbone does not support nested collections or collections
> of primitive types. Circumventing these limitations provided to add
> too much complexity both to the server and client implementation.

Choice of client-side js libs should not be a stress here.
Rather module-specific adoption of other libs should be possible.

Mongrel2 also involves zeromq, which has its own benefits.

Also to be evaluated for tools/system to be used in ACF2 is "redis".

--
Regards.
V.Krishn