Mail archive
acf

[acf] Re: [alpine-devel] Ideas for a new config framework, ACF2

From: Der Tiger <der.tiger.alpine_at_arcor.de>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 18:00:59 +0100

Hi Kaarle,

> As much as I dislike JavaScript as a programming language, I still
> think it is the best choice for client implementation. Virtually all
> devices support JavaScript nowadays, and there are lots of tools which
> we can leverage in our implementation.
The problem with a client implementation and mobile devices won't be so
much compatibility, but performance. PDAs and Tablets still don't offer
a lot of cpu power, while the OS and the browser software itself often
use up most of the available resources. Soon, the JavaScript client
software is likely to hit a performance wall on those devices, when the
complexity of the client software increases with functionality.

I can't help myself, but with all that has been written, I still don't
see the benefit of a strict client implementation over a JavaScript-free
host implementation. You and Nathanael, on the other hand, seem to be
quite set on advocating your proposal. Well, I suppose you've thought it
through.

Best Regards, Tiger