Mail archive
acf

Re: [acf] Re: [alpine-devel] Ideas for a new config framework, ACF2

From: V.Krishn <vkrishn4_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 23:37:52 +0530

On Saturday, December 08, 2012 10:32:52 PM you wrote:

> Some ACF use cases require streaming status information back to the client
> as the operation progresses.

Thinking of "streaming status information" would it good idea to de-couple
ACF's streaming part info into AMF (Alpine Monitoring Framework) ?

> Django does not support this very well, at
> least in any production release. (Version 1.5 will have
> StreamingHttpResponse class.)
>
> Finally, remember that Django is a framework intended for implementing
> relational database-oriented web applications with server-side HTML
> templating. While it would be possible to implement CLI and SNMP
> interfaces for Django models, the framework does not really help in that
> effort. We also want to include dynamic state information e.g. from /proc,

Does this mean kinda web pub/sub system?

> but Django does not help there at all. I think it is better to design the
> framework to take these use cases into account at model API level. As I
> said, Django is a nice framework for the purposes it was designed to and
> obviously has been developed by smart programmers. We will indeed let its
> design influence ours. Even if we decide to implement the web interface as
> a single page application (in JavaScript), we can apply some principles
> found e.g. in Django's form API. We should also take a look at Dojo
> Toolkit.

On whole I think having a light weight system not tied to one scripting
language should be good choice.

Choice of persistence manager should be such that any binding with other web
framework/scripting language be possible.
Eg. ACF - lua
       AMF - php

Just a thought.

--