Mail archive

[alpine-aports] Exactly when do triggers run?

From: Isaac Dunham <>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 20:39:43 -0800

I'm wondering what causes triggers to run.
Specifically, it seems that a trigger only runs if the watched files/dirs
are changed *by another package*.
Is this expected behavior, or a case of a situation not being expected?
(Or is it simply that the trigger does not exist during the package

In case you're wondering what I'm trying to do:
I've built ted with both GTK (/usr/bin/Ted) and Motif (/usr/bin/Ted.motif)
I'd like the Motif version to automatically get a link to it if there's
not already a /usr/bin/Ted binary.
This should happen even if I do
apk add ted
apk add ted-motif
apk del ted

I've been trying to do this thus:
ted-motif provides ted
ted-motif has a trigger watching /usr/bin/Ted*

The trigger never goes off.

Experimenting, I see that "provides=$PKG" doesn't work like I thought;
it results in $PKG being replaced.
So it should work to simply install Ted.motif as Ted.

Isaac Dunham