Mail archive
alpine-aports

Re: [alpine-aports] Please *don't* drop prepare!

From: Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 11:19:25 +0200

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 09:21:07 +0100
Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 18:09:59 -0800
> Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Anyhow...
> > Is there a reason that this couldn't be moved to abuild?
>
> Not really.

I think the basic patching could be a dedicated block that goes to
default_prepare or so.

> > I know that bash uses -p0 patches, which wouldn't work with this.
> > But other than that, it seems to be a universal constant.
>
> I think gentoo tries various -pN variants before error. We could do
> something like:
>
> patch -p1 -i .... || patch -p0 -i ...

Please don't do that. It breaks horribly if the patch is only adding
new files. I had major failures due to this kind of hackery early in
gentoo times.

I think we should just require -p1 or force user override the default
step.

Thanks,
Timo