Mail archive
alpine-aports

[alpine-aports] [RFC] Splitting linux-firmware

From: Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 22:21:18 -0700

Hello,
I recently checked the size of installed packages on my system, and found
that linux-firmware was the largest (~120 megabytes).
I need the Realtek firmware, and perhaps could use the i915 firmware.
So I figured it would be a significant cutdown in installed size,
as well as a major reduction in downloads, if it were possible to just
select firmware from a couple of manufacturers.

While I was in the process of doing this, I noticed a few smaller issues:
-the non-firmware files that the APKBUILD tries to delete are actually
located in /lib/firmware, not /usr/lib/firmware
-the source for carl9170 firmware is included in the final package

Here's a tentative patch that fixes those issues and tries to split
things up.

Does this look like a good idea?
Should any further splitting be done?
For example:
-splitting iwlwifi firmware off because it's the bulk of the intel
firmware, but not the bulk of the users;
-splitting qlogic, 3com, and chelsio firmware from -misc

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham