Re: [alpine-devel] Starting with Alpine

From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:32:36 +0100

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 19:42 +0300, Jan Klod wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am about to install Alpine right now, but I am unsure about how should I do.
> It would be best to have development environment for my Alpine system
> and "production" OS.
>
> Sure, I am new to Alpine, so maybe it's better to ask you how should I begin?

Normally you just boot the production system from usb/cf, install the
things you need and configure your services. Then you just "lbu commit"
and you're done.

The lbu commit will create an .apkovl.tar.gz file with your changed /etc
files.

> I will have to build my own kernel and some extra apps, that are not
> readily
> available.
>
> Advices are welcome...

aw... unfortunally its a cumbersome process to get that part started.
But once youre started its failry easy to maintain it. I import new
packages from gentoo and make a release every 2 weeks.

 You can download the latest alpine-sdk, which is a gentoo chroot. You
can either install that as a vserver (if you use vserver) or you can
just chroot into it.

>From there you need to get the portage tree (emerge --sync), the
alpine-portage overlay and finally the alpine-builder scripts.

You can try follow this:
http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/w/index.php?title=Setting_up_the_build_environment

I think its slightly outdated, but I can help you get it running from
IRC on Freenode #alpine if you want, or you can ask here when you get
stuck.

That said, I'm serisouly thinking about simplifying the alpine building
by build it without gentoo.