Re: [alpine-devel] How Alpine stores OS in RAM?

From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 11:50:52 +0100

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 14:30 +0300, Jan Klod wrote:
> Since I still try building a gentoo-similar OS in RAM, I would appreciate, if
> someone tells me how Alpine is stored in RAM?

alpine is compiled with gentoo. since gentoo's pacakge manager does not
handles package splitting the packages are splitted and converted to
apk, (which basicly is a tar.gz archive)

The base system (alpine-baselayout, alpine-conf, uclibc, busybox, sfic,
tdb and openssl) are installed in a temp root and compressed as
base.tar.bz2.

During boot, the initramfs script will mount a tmpfs root where the
base.tar.bz2 is extracted and then it just 'switch_root' and 'exec init'

Now we are in a new root, which is an allocated tmpfs. The init scripts
will find an apkovl.tar.gz which contains a list of the applications
user installed last time and the config files. all the wanted
applications will be installed and the services will be started.

Does that explain? The alpine runtime is not really a gentoo system. Its
alot smaller alpien system.