[alpine-devel] Informational:vsftpd,/etc/shells

From: Michael Mason <ms13sp_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 19:52:50 +0000

This is more as an informational note. If the group thinks that
something needs to be changed great, if not ok.

Was using alpine linux to setup a ftp server. Installed vsftp and
configured it. For some reason it would not allow any local accounts
to log in.
Then I tried root. That worked. :(
Weird.
Why wouldn't the accounts I created work? Strace was no help because
each connection spun off an child process which didn't tell me what
was going on.

Did some long research on the net and found that vsftpd will check /
etc/shells to validate that the user account is correct.

/etc/shells on alpine
# valid login shells
/bin/ash
/bin/dash
#/bin/bash
#/bin/lash
#/bin/msh

adduser makes the user account have /etc/sh as the shell. :) Not a
valid shell according to /etc/shells.