Re: [alpine-devel] How Alpine stores OS in RAM?

From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:25:08 +0100

On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 21:45 +0200, Jan Klod wrote:
> On Friday 07 November 2008 12:50:52 you wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 14:30 +0300, Jan Klod wrote:
> > > Since I still try building a gentoo-similar OS in RAM, I would
> > > appreciate, if someone tells me how Alpine is stored in RAM?
> >
> > During boot, the initramfs script will mount a tmpfs root where the
> > base.tar.bz2 is extracted and then it just 'switch_root' and 'exec init'
> Please post the root filesystem line of fstab!

looks like i dont have any rootfs line in fstab at all.

> I am doing switch_root from initramfs and that is currently the problem.

> > Does that explain? The alpine runtime is not really a gentoo system. Its
> > alot smaller alpien system.
> Yes, could be, I just got an operational gentoo-id of 160MB, which has gcc.
> But that is not a clean work like yours - it has no portage.

fwiw, I'm working on a native alpine buildsystem, so you don't need
gentoo at all. So far I got almost all the toolchain there. gcc still
needs some tweaking to get the "hardened" part correct. (currently ssp
and pie is not turned on by default for some reason)

http://dev.alpinelinux.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/aports/

You can use base.tar.bz2 in a chroot (or vserver), install gcc, binutils
and uclibc-dev and then you should basicly have what you need to start
build things.