[alpine-devel] Shorewall shell - EOL announcement

Harry Lachanas <grharry@freemail.gr>
<49A8F1BE.1090509@freemail.gr>
I quote from the shorewall list
" Shorewall 4.4, which will be released late this year, will no longer
include Shorewall-shell. There will be just four packages included in
Shorewall 4.4:

Shorewall - everything you need to create an IPv4 firewall (including
the Perl-based compiler).

Shorewall6 - requires Shorewall and adds everything you need to create
an IPv6 firewall

Shorewall-lite - same as in 4.2

Shorewall6-lite - same as in 4.2

Those of you who are still using Shorewall-shell should consider
migrating to Shorewall-perl at the earliest opportunity. Don't wait
until your distribution drops Shorewall 4.4 on you in an upgrade.

-Tom
-- Tom Eastep \ When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather who
Shoreline, \ died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like
Washington, USA \ all of the passengers in his car http://shorewall.net
\________________________________________________
................................................................."

Re: [alpine-devel] Shorewall shell - EOL announcement

<95408c820902280131x225f58aaodeb59aa37590db0f@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<49A8F1BE.1090509@freemail.gr> (view parent)
On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Harry Lachanas <grharry@freemail.gr> wrote:

> I quote from the shorewall list
> " Shorewall 4.4, which will be released late this year, will no longer
> include Shorewall-shell. There will be just four packages included in
> Shorewall 4.4:

I saw. I expressed a wish for shorewall-lua which Tom was not interested in.

So, we can either try make shorewall-perl run with miniperl (which is
available in 1.9 branch already) or start look for alternatives.

My personal take on it is that if we will depend on perl anyway, we migh
want have a look at ferm instead.

-nc

Re: [alpine-devel] Shorewall shell - EOL announcement

Harry Lachanas <grharry@freemail.gr>
<49A918C1.5070003@freemail.gr>
In-Reply-To
<95408c820902280131x225f58aaodeb59aa37590db0f@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Harry Lachanas <grharry@freemail.gr
> <grharry@freemail.gr>> wrote:
>
>     I quote from the shorewall list
>     " Shorewall 4.4, which will be released late this year, will no longer
>     include Shorewall-shell. There will be just four packages included in
>     Shorewall 4.4:

> I saw. I expressed a wish for shorewall-lua which Tom was not
> interested in.
>
> So, we can either try make shorewall-perl run with miniperl (which is
> available in 1.9 branch already) or start look for alternatives.

We should consider asking shorewall developers to at least support
miniperl after all we are not the only ones with this problem ...
> My personal take on it is that if we will depend on perl anyway, we
> migh want have a look at ferm instead.
We have to accept the fact that shorewall has a pretty good number of
installations and hence the knowledge base is much more wide.

Ferm might be ok for specific cases but since I never had the chance to
try it in a production env I am not able to say much about it.

With shorewall what ever the problem might be there will be a solution
of some form after a while ...

It is a very live project.

Harry.

Re: [alpine-devel] Shorewall shell - EOL announcement

<1235986972.32572.19.camel@nc>
On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 10:11 +0200, Harry Lachanas wrote:
> I quote from the shorewall list
> " Shorewall 4.4, which will be released late this year, will no longer
> include Shorewall-shell. There will be just four packages included in
> Shorewall 4.4:

I saw it and expressed a wish for shorewall-lua wich got rejected.

We (or alpine users) have the following options:
1. make shorewall work with miniperl (its in 1.9.x)
2. switch to other iptables generator. (ferm have been mentioned but it
also needs perl/miniperl)

If someone have found anything else please let us know.

I think we can continue use shoreall-shell for another year or two so
its not an urgent problem.

Thanks!