[alpine-devel] Vserver

Harry Lachanas <grharry@freemail.gr>
<49AE87B9.2080505@freemail.gr>
Hi all

I am trying to start a vserver on debian etch with the stuff I've
downloaded from 1.9.0 ( initial ) ...

But  some how I am not able to ...

The vserver scripts that come with debian insist on downloading
debootstrap and install a debian image ... :-(

Any hint will be much appreciated ..

Thanks
Harry.

<1236176949.32434.38.camel@nc>
In-Reply-To
<49AE87B9.2080505@freemail.gr> (view parent)
On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 15:52 +0200, Harry Lachanas wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am trying to start a vserver on debian etch with the stuff I've
> downloaded from 1.9.0 ( initial ) ...
>
> But  some how I am not able to ...
>
> The vserver scripts that come with debian insist on downloading
> debootstrap and install a debian image ... :-(

alternatives:
1. You could use alpine-1.8.x as vserver host

2. the alpine util-vserver package contains a subdir
called /usr/lib/util-vserver/distributions/alpine that you could just
extract from the 1.8.x apk and copy to your etch server. (iirc i did so
on a debian box here with success)

then you need a template taball which we unfortunally dont have.

Can be created from an 1.9.0 env like this:

sudo apk add --initdb --root /new alpine-baselayout
cd /new
sudo tar -czf ../alpine-template.tar.gz *

I did one for youe and uploaded here:
http://dev.alpinelinux.org/~ncopa/alpine/alpine-vserver-template-20090304.tar.gz

Then you use this template with:
 ... -m template -- -t /path/to/alpine-vserver-template-20090304.tar.gz -d alpine

as explained here:
http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/w/index.php?title=Setting_up_a_basic_vserver#Setting_up_the_guest

> Any hint will be much appreciated ..
>
> Thanks
> Harry.
>

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---

<1236182323.32434.43.camel@nc>
In-Reply-To
<49AE9C49.90509@freemail.gr> (view parent)
On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 17:20 +0200, Harry Lachanas wrote:
> Natanael Copa wrote:

> however ssh - ing into vserver ( ip 10.128.0.1 ) got me in to the host
> server ( debian ) ...
> nmap  showed a bunch of ports open ( debian host services  ports ) ....
>

> What if  dropbear was installed and started in the vserver ???

the host and all vservers must set the listen address for services
rather than bind to */0.0.0.0

This is due to vserver does not virtualize the network stack. the guests
and the host all share the same network stack. benefits: native speed,
low on resources. drawbacks: you must specify bind address.

I think there are a feature that will auto bind 0.0.0.0 to first ip
address of guest or similar, but i didnt turn that one on.

Harry Lachanas <grharry@freemail.gr>
<49AE9C49.90509@freemail.gr>
In-Reply-To
<1236176949.32434.38.camel@nc> (view parent)
Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 15:52 +0200, Harry Lachanas wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I am trying to start a vserver on debian etch with the stuff I've
>> downloaded from 1.9.0 ( initial ) ...
>>
>> But  some how I am not able to ...
>>
>> The vserver scripts that come with debian insist on downloading
>> debootstrap and install a debian image ... :-(
>>

> alternatives:
> 1. You could use alpine-1.8.x as vserver host

OK, but how to start the all-ready installed  debian messy system on HD ????

> 2. the alpine util-vserver package contains a subdir
> called /usr/lib/util-vserver/distributions/alpine that you could just
> extract from the 1.8.x apk and copy to your etch server. (iirc i did so
> on a debian box here with success)
>
> then you need a template taball which we unfortunally dont have.
>
> Can be created from an 1.9.0 env like this:
>
> sudo apk add --initdb --root /new alpine-baselayout
> cd /new
> sudo tar -czf ../alpine-template.tar.gz *
>
> I did one for youe and uploaded here:
> http://dev.alpinelinux.org/~ncopa/alpine/alpine-vserver-template-20090304.tar.gz
>

> Then you use this template with:
>  ... -m template -- -t /path/to/alpine-vserver-template-20090304.tar.gz -d alpine
>
> as explained here:
> http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/w/index.php?title=Setting_up_a_basic_vserver#Setting_up_the_guest

That was great !!!
Thanks NC ...!!!