Re: [alpine-devel] Backup Confing from remote alpine boxes ....

From: Harry Lachanas <grharry_at_freemail.gr>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:55:26 +0200

> That's what the above does.. I can back up your box to my box with
> the above command.

That is correct --- Sorry!!
> natebox#ssh root_at_harrybox "lbu package -" >harrybox.apkovl.tar.gz
>
> I log into your box, run "lbu package -" on your machine, (the -
> writes the lbu archive to stdout) which I then redirect to the file
> harrybox.apkovl.tar.gz on my machine.
>
> I now have a local copy of the remote machine's config.
>
> From your box's perspective a remote machine pulled and stored your
> config.

Instead I used rsync ...

a) mount remote usb via
#ssh root_at_nathans-box "mount /media/usb"

b) rsync -az -e ssh root_at_nathans-box:/media/usb /this/directory

c) umount remote via
#ssh root_at_nathans-box "umount /media/usb"

Your opinion ???

As U understand I have this as cron job.....

that way I won't pull the config if it's not changed ....
of course some ping checks are performed beforehand, to see that the
host is alive and some return values are checked etc... bla bla bla ....

The thing is I don't have 1.7.19+ on the boxes + the boxes won't boot
with the default alpine image ( kernel modules + scd0 links are required
) ....
+ the boxes are now installed 500 Km away ....

Thanks again Nathan.

Harry.