Re: [alpine-devel] rename the APKBUILDs

From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:00:39 +0100

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 12:46 +0200, Timo Teräs wrote:
> Natanael Copa wrote:
> > You might have seen patches with new "aports" for new build tree on this
> > list and there will come more of that.
> >
> > I would like to rename the APKBUILD to soemthing with .sh extension to
> > get the syntax higlight from vim. APKBUILD is also kinda hard to type
> > fast too.
> >
> > So I would like to ask everyone: Ok if i break the entire tree (again)
> > and rename all APKBUILD to ABUILD.sh?
> >
> > Is this name ok for everyone? We coudl use small letters to: abuild.sh
> > but its nice when the abuild are clearly different the the rest of the
> > files in a dir listing.
>
> It is not a shell script to be ran as-is, instead it's something used
> by abuild, so I'd rather not have it .sh extension. Otherwise it's
> confusing.

ok. yes. i was thinking that they are shell include files. Sometimes you
find php include files called .php. but yes... will most likely confuse.

> How about adding #! line at start, usually editors recognize those
> and can give syntax highlighting with those.

this is actually pretty cool, but im not really sure how to implement
that without writing a small C wrapper.

I think it is simpler to source them like we do today.

> Or add an editor specific
> configuration option to auto highlight files that are named APKBUILD.

Carlo found some fancy vim line that would turn on syntax highlight so
that part is working now.

> I'm not all against renaming them. But syntax highlighting is not a
> good reason for that, IMHO.

How about rename them to ABUILD? shorter to type, better connection to
the 'abuild' script and package. Is it worth it at this stage?