Re: [alpine-devel] Shorewall shell - EOL announcement

From: Harry Lachanas <grharry_at_freemail.gr>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:58:09 +0200

Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Harry Lachanas <grharry_at_freemail.gr
> <mailto:grharry_at_freemail.gr>> wrote:
>
> I quote from the shorewall list
> " Shorewall 4.4, which will be released late this year, will no longer
> include Shorewall-shell. There will be just four packages included in
> Shorewall 4.4:

> I saw. I expressed a wish for shorewall-lua which Tom was not
> interested in.
>
> So, we can either try make shorewall-perl run with miniperl (which is
> available in 1.9 branch already) or start look for alternatives.

We should consider asking shorewall developers to at least support
miniperl after all we are not the only ones with this problem ...
> My personal take on it is that if we will depend on perl anyway, we
> migh want have a look at ferm instead.
We have to accept the fact that shorewall has a pretty good number of
installations and hence the knowledge base is much more wide.

Ferm might be ok for specific cases but since I never had the chance to
try it in a production env I am not able to say much about it.

With shorewall what ever the problem might be there will be a solution
of some form after a while ...

It is a very live project.

Harry.