[alpine-devel] Postgres 8.4

<1249907735.31798.5.camel@localhost.localdomain>

I'd just like to ask you what you think about upgrading default
postgresql package to 8.4?

I was thinking in the lines of having a pre-install script that checks
if 8.3 is installed an running and if so, aborts with the message
"please pgdump and stop the running postgres. once upgraded you need to
manually start and pgrestore" or similar.

Or do you think we should support having both installed in parallell?
I'm not sure its worth the extra work.

I'm asking you since you have been involved in postgres related
packages.

Thanks!

[alpine-devel] Re: Postgres 8.4

Cameron Banta <cbanta@gmail.com>
<531b02ea0908100629t4b5fd6cfybe2400f67ca87bbd@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<1249907735.31798.5.camel@localhost.localdomain> (view parent)
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 7:35 AM, Natanael Copa <natanael.copa@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,

Hello

> I'd just like to ask you what you think about upgrading default
> postgresql package to 8.4?

I think that's a good idea.

> I was thinking in the lines of having a pre-install script that checks
> if 8.3 is installed an running and if so, aborts with the message
> "please pgdump and stop the running postgres. once upgraded you need to
> manually start and pgrestore" or similar.

I see maybe an issue with those who use run off usb drive, but have data
installed on disk. They won't be able to upgrade by swapping the usb drive
any more. But they can update and then swap the usb drive.

> Or do you think we should support having both installed in parallell?
> I'm not sure its worth the extra work.

I can't think of any big issues with just running the new version of
postgres. I think the biggest reason to support both is to make upgrading
easier for those with 8.3 already running.

-Cameron
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)