Re: [alpine-devel] dealing with kernel module apkbuilds

From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 17:01:22 +0200

On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 09:25 -0500, Cameron Banta wrote:
> 2009/4/7 Timo Teräs <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
>
> Natanael Copa wrote:

> Ideally you should not need to specify the kernel flavor in
> apkbuild.
> Instead the build system should know all available kernel
> variants,
> and rebuild the modules for each variant.
>
> - Timo
>

> Speaking of ideally, I think it would be nice to have a parameter in
> APKBUILD that specified this package was a kernel or a kernel module.
> Then abuild would have a couple extra options for building kernels and
> kernel modules.
>
> For example, if you were building a module, you would need to specify
> to abuild which kernel you wanted to build it for. e.g:
> abuild -K ../linux-grsec
>
> If you were building a kernel, you could specify to build all the
> modules with it and it would would find them dynamically and build
> them. e.g:
> abuild -m
>
> Any scripts to build all the packages could simply ignore the kernel
> modules, and tell each kernel it builds to build the modules with it.
>
> Perhaps the extra work to abuild is not worth it, though.

ok, now we are talking. What I need is some help with ideas how to
implement it and I think I got some ideas here.

basicly, this would mean that you would need to tag a certain apkbuilds
to be either a normal apkbuild (no tagging?), to be a kernel apkbuild,
or to be a kernel module apkbuild.

examples:

cd dahdi-linux
abuild # builds packages with suffix for all kernel flavors
abuild -K grsec # builds only dahdi-linux-grsec

cd linux-grsec
abuild -m # builds kernel + it scans the aports tree for packages
                # tagged as module apkbuild, increases pkgrel and
                # rebuilds.

Maintainer would still need to commit those modified apkbuilds.

I wonder if we could have a separate tool rather than include that in
abuild script. maybe abuild-mod/abuild-kernel.

What scares me most with all this, is that things get complicated. I'd
like to have the build system stupid simple if possible.

-nc