[alpine-devel] alpine iso kernel

Cameron Banta <cbanta@gmail.com>
<531b02ea0912302035v84d0703w5fe41936470381d0@mail.gmail.com>
Hello,

Are there plans to update the kernel on the alpine iso?

I couldn't boot it on an hp blade server. It failed at the hwdrivers part,
so I assumed it was a driver issue. But I was able to boot an ubuntu cd and
install alpine to hdd using 2.6.32 kernel from edge.

Thanks,
Cameron
<1262886800.8625.13487.camel@ncopa-desktop.nor.wtbts.net>
In-Reply-To
<531b02ea0912302035v84d0703w5fe41936470381d0@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 22:35 -0600, Cameron Banta wrote:
> Hello,

hi sorry late answer

> Are there plans to update the kernel on the alpine iso?

yes, well...

The idea is to have alpine-2.0 out by april or something with NPTL. I
think we do need something that works before that. So I'm thinking of
maybe makeing an alpine-1.10 release with 2.6.32 kernel, and all the
stuff in current edge. And then start break stuff in edge with NPTL.

> I couldn't boot it on an hp blade server. It failed at the hwdrivers
> part, so I assumed it was a driver issue.

there was a driver for HP watchdog that have cause issues for us. I have
disabled the driver.

> But I was able to boot an ubuntu cd and install alpine to hdd using
> 2.6.32 kernel from edge.

you could probably have created a small apkvol with a
file /etc/modprobe.d/hpwdt containing: "blacklist hpwdt"