Re: [alpine-devel] Getting started

From: Timo Teräs <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 08:13:43 +0300

Hi Mark,

Mark Constable wrote:
> Somewhere someone mentioned something about Alpine moving towards
> Archs' pacman/makepkg... is this true?

When alpine 1.9 development was started one major thing to change
was package manager as the shell script based apk-tools was too
slow. Arch's pacman was a strong candidate to switch to. And we
did talk about that in various places. Eventually we decided to
rewrite apk-tools in C. I think ncopa had some issues with
makepkg too, and that's why he ended up writing abuild.

Pacman would have needed customization, as alpine's feature to
"boot from cdrom, read overlay from usb/floppy and install packages
from cdrom to root tmpfs" is relatively unique. I also remember
that we would have needed to change the internal database format
to some degree, to get better memory usage on a tmpfs root.

Granted, we could have probably patched / forked pacman for our
needs. But we saw the migration path easier this way.

- Timo