Re: [alpine-devel] Getting started

From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 08:47:53 +0200

On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 08:13 +0300, Timo Teräs wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Mark Constable wrote:
> > Somewhere someone mentioned something about Alpine moving towards
> > Archs' pacman/makepkg... is this true?
>
> When alpine 1.9 development was started one major thing to change
> was package manager as the shell script based apk-tools was too
> slow. Arch's pacman was a strong candidate to switch to. And we
> did talk about that in various places. Eventually we decided to
> rewrite apk-tools in C. I think ncopa had some issues with
> makepkg too, and that's why he ended up writing abuild.

Basicly, i wanted get rid of the bash dependency and we want to split
the packages so docs and dev files (headers, .a etc) are in separate
packages. Thats why we could not use the ABS from arch linux.

That said, abuild is very much inspired of makepkg and gentoo's ebuild.
The APKBUILDS are very similar PKGBUILD and we often use the PKGBUILD as
base for our packages.

Thanks!