Re: [alpine-devel] Multi architecture support

From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 14:48:38 +0200

On Thu, 2009-07-30 at 16:17 +1000, Mark Constable wrote:
> I see the default /etc/abuild.conf has CHOST=i486-alpine-linux-uclibc
> and there is no sign of a PKGBUILD arch=(i686 x86_64) equivalent so
> is there a recommended way to provide multiple archs from a single
> APKBUILD?
>
> I guess using a different /etc/abuild.conf in each build environment
> would suffice but I thought I should check if there is some inbuilt
> method that is not documented yet.
>
> I intend to build a subset of packages for i686,

This is ok.

> x86_64,

This should work, but I have never tried it. I think most APKBUILDs will
work too. Looking at Arch Linux it seems like most x86_64 bit specifics
are related to PIC, which we need anyway due to our hardened toolchain.

> arm8 and
> possibly ppc (ps3) eventually.

Those would probably require cross-compiling. I think its possible but
it will probably require some redesign of abuild and extra things to
consider in APKBUILDs.

> I'd use separate chroots for i686
> and x86_64 and possibly use the ArchMobile qemu examle for arm8 as
> I have a Beagelboard begging for some TLC.

TLC?

I'm not familiar with ArchMobile. Does it cross-compile or native
compile in qemu? Native compile in qemu might work but is slow.

Btw, i use vserver for my development of x86. Its like an advanced
chroot.