Re: [alpine-devel] Multi architecture support

From: Mark Constable <markc_at_renta.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 23:26:52 +1000

Natanael Copa wrote:
> This should work, but I have never tried it. I think most APKBUILDs will
> work too. Looking at Arch Linux it seems like most x86_64 bit specifics
> are related to PIC, which we need anyway due to our hardened toolchain.

It seems CFLAGS="-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe" makes gcc use
-fPIC by default (this is from an ncurses attempt)...

gcc -I../test -I. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../include -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DNDEBUG -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe --param max-inline-insns-single=1200 -fPIC -c ../test/background.c -o ../obj_s/background.o

>> arm8 and possibly ppc (ps3) eventually.
>
> Those would probably require cross-compiling.

To bootstrap, sure, but I'm hoping the Beagleboard, with external USB
HDD, will be powerful enough to build packages natively.

> I think its possible but it will probably require some redesign of
> abuild and extra things to consider in APKBUILDs.

One way to find out :)

>> I have a Beagelboard begging for some TLC.
>
> TLC?

"tender loving care". I've had the beagelboard for a couple of weeks
but I haven't even plugged it in yet. http://beagleboard.org/hardware

> I'm not familiar with ArchMobile. Does it cross-compile or native
> compile in qemu? Native compile in qemu might work but is slow.

Best answerred by...

http://www.archmobile.org/trac/wiki/AFR/BuildEnvironment
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=587134#p587134

> Btw, i use vserver for my development of x86. Its like an advanced
> chroot.

I should look into it. chroot is simple and native speed.

--markc