[alpine-devel] configure option for gcc in APKBUILD

From: Robert Schmidt <r-schmidt_at_web.de>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 22:41:10 +0200

Hi,

While trying to learn how the Alpine build system works I saw that for the GCC package configure is called with "--with-arch=i486". Looking around what this option is for I got the impression that it means that the GCC uses "-march=i486" by default. Since apparently no "-march" parameter is set in APKBUILD files that results in all packages being i486 binaries. If this package was used to create Alpine 1.9.0 then this means the ISO is not i386 but i486.

Since the 386 doesn't have a FPU I would suspect that all packages that do float operations won't run on a 386. (On the other hand: who would use such a device even with a small linux?)

Did I misinterpret the whole thing?

Regards,
Robert