[alpine-devel] Alpine linux quesitons

<AANLkTi=EcbNZeEhSC+9CvKqvyx8X8H89JHhcpmAgQ-TG@mail.gmail.com>
Hello Everyone !

I was looking for a tiny busybox based Linux distribution already for a
little while and for whatever reason I never came across AplineLinux. I'm
surprised there could be a solution I'm looking for with Alpine. I was
trying to setup it to work under coLinux, but failed with console driver not
being able to initialise. I wounder if I can run Alpine with vanila kernel
or special patches required.
Timo Teräs <timo.teras@iki.fi>
<4C622F84.50000@iki.fi>
In-Reply-To
<AANLkTi=EcbNZeEhSC+9CvKqvyx8X8H89JHhcpmAgQ-TG@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)

On 08/11/2010 12:14 AM, qnx4ever wrote:
> I was looking for a tiny busybox based Linux distribution already for a
> little while and for whatever reason I never came across AplineLinux.
> I'm surprised there could be a solution I'm looking for with Alpine. I
> was trying to setup it to work under coLinux, but failed with console
> driver not being able to initialise. I wounder if I can run Alpine with
> vanila kernel or special patches required.

There's no special kernel patches required for Alpine Linux. By default
we ship with a kernel having grsec patches and another one with vserver
stuff. We also keep some backports of bugfixes on them every now and then.

I don't see any special reasons why Alpine would not run with coLinux,
though I'm not too familiar with coLinux changes. Your problem sounds
that you are likely missing some kernel config options related to console.

Cheers,
  Timo

<AANLkTik9LFpTzo8X-0ObOGk4GL8jC2joijmKw91ozWJq@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<4C622F84.50000@iki.fi> (view parent)
Thanks for clarification Timo. Apparently the same very coLinux kernel I use
to run SourceMage, Crux, Debian and Angstrom. Could it be OpenRC related
problem ? It has something to do with Alpine startup procedure. I'll also
check how /dev populated ?

On 11/08/2010 9:05 AM, "Timo Teräs" <timo.teras@iki.fi> wrote:

Hi,

On 08/11/2010 12:14 AM, qnx4ever wrote:
> I was looking for a tiny busybox based Linux distribution...
There's no special kernel patches required for Alpine Linux. By default
we ship with a kernel having grsec patches and another one with vserver
stuff. We also keep some backports of bugfixes on them every now and then.

I don't see any special reasons why Alpine would not run with coLinux,
though I'm not too familiar with coLinux changes. Your problem sounds
that you are likely missing some kernel config options related to console.

Cheers,
  Timo
<AANLkTin8L7v9rRje=PnRM9j31+fAbrQtNSSuB=tKHLVV@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<AANLkTik9LFpTzo8X-0ObOGk4GL8jC2joijmKw91ozWJq@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
2010/8/11 qnx4ever <qnx4ever@gmail.com>:
> Thanks for clarification Timo. Apparently the same very coLinux kernel I use
> to run SourceMage, Crux, Debian and Angstrom. Could it be OpenRC related
> problem ? It has something to do with Alpine startup procedure. I'll also
> check how /dev populated ?

we use busybox mdev to populate /dev (might switch to udev for alpine 2.1)

--
Natanael Copa

<AANLkTi=eZoMZixzM5q0GG0F8Jv_Mpb5PHjMpuA60bfgT@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<AANLkTin8L7v9rRje=PnRM9j31+fAbrQtNSSuB=tKHLVV@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
I prefer static or mdev /dev for my home router purposes (there's
nothing dynamic there;).
Thanks for ther recommendations earlier, I'll have a look at that and
if it works and then put together stripped working coLinux root
partition image. I will upload it to coLinux community portal and
share link with you guys. CoLinux is way much easier running Linux on
your Widows PC then any of the VM solutions available on the market.

Mark Constable <markc@renta.net>
<201008111741.12357.markc@renta.net>
On 2010-08-11, qnx4ever wrote:
> Thanks for clarification Timo. Apparently the same very
> coLinux kernel I use to run SourceMage, Crux, Debian and
> Angstrom. Could it be OpenRC related problem ? It has
> something to do with Alpine startup procedure. I'll also
> check how /dev populated ?

Perhaps while mounted from another running system/livecd
if the .../dev directory is empty.

cd .../dev
mknod console c 5 1
mknod null c 1 3