[alpine-devel] apk-tools/dependencies question for php

From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:03:37 +0100

So we have this package, php, which raises interesting questions about
dependencies.

we have 'php-cli', 'php' (php-cgi) and various php modules. Lets use
php-gd as an example.

php-imap does not make sense as a standalone, its just a .so file, so
it made sense to have 'php' as a dependency. You installed php-gd, it
pulled in php for you.

Now that we have php-cli in addition to php (cgi), and you can run
either of those with php-imap we can no longer pull in 'php' as
dependency since you might want to run the php-cli and not the cgi.

so how do we deal with that?

I can see those options:

1. remove the php dependency from php-dg (and all other php modules)
and let user handle the deps himself
2. implement optional/volunteer dependencies in apk-tools. You can as
user do something to tell apk that we want php-gd to be a dependency
for php when you install php, so when php is removed php-gd goes out
as well.
3. some other way to snap in dependencies manually afterwards. Like:
 # install php-gd and php-imap as dependencies for php
 apk add -d php php-gd php-imap
4. implement 'or' in apk-tools and let php-gd depend on either 'php or php-cli'

For now i think we will go for option 1, but it would be nice to hear
what you think would be the optimal solution for this situation.

Thanks!

--
Natanael Copa