[alpine-devel] apk-tools idea: binding to other applications and languages

From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 08:21:41 +0100

Hi,

Som things I have been thinking of for some time.

It would be nice to make apk-tools functions available from other
applications and higher level languages. The immedeate need I have is
a binding to the version compare functions from lua. In the longer run
it would be nice to be able to make a gui installer and have a nice
gui progress bar while installing. The point is that we will sooner or
later need to bind to apk from other applications.

We have some alternatives:
1. we can make a dynamic libapk.so and have the apk application link
to it and have the lua apk.so to link to it too. Less dupe of code.
2. we can dup the code. A build target uses same code but builds a lua
apk.so or similar.
3. we can have lua library fork/exec the current apk and parse the
output. I don't like this, specially not for sorting scripts that
needs compare version strings.

When it comes to the initramfs installer, we already need libcrypto,
libz, libc and openssl (for encrypted apkovls) in the initramfs image
so adding another lib doesnt really matter. (we could make an initapk
tool which links libc and libapk statically but libcrypt and libc
dynamic)

--
Natanael Copa