Re: [alpine-devel] RFC: apk-tools user interface

From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 11:54:53 +0100

2010/3/2 Timo Teräs <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>:
> Natanael Copa wrote:
>>
>> The apk-tools user interface have some leftovers from apk-tools-1.x
>> which had an user interface similar to freebsd's pkg-tools. I don't
>> see any point in that anymore and i think its time to think over the
>> user interface for apk tools. I think we want keep 'apk add' and 'apk
>> del' like they are more or less for compatibility but I think it might
>> be good redo some of the other applets, at least 'apk info'.
>
> If you have strong arguments why to do it, then sure. I remember we
> decided to clone old shell interface to maintain compatibility with
> scripts.
>
>> How about we make a new applet called 'apk query' that eventually will
>> replace the 'apk info' applet?
>
> Yes, this would be the way to do it.
>
> I'm not against this, as the old style is slightly non-obvious and
> strange at points.

This is the main reason.

There are also some missing features. Like finding top level packages
and orphans. Been thinking that the output format could be different
too. Then I thought, if we decide to break compat then we should
probably do things correctly.

> However, doing this will require updating all scripts and have the
> users learn a new set of commands. Is it worth it?

I think we want keep the most common stuff as is, i.e 'apk add' and
'apk del' to not make it a too big chock.

> -- If the new
> commands are same as in e.g. apt, dpkg, rpm or some other popular
> package manager, then I think it's a good direction.

i picked some ideas from pacman, but i'm open to other suggestions.
The point is that it might be a good time to rethink the command line
interface now, before alpine-2.0

--
Natanael Copa