[alpine-devel] Alpine Linux Xen support

From: <cschieli_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 11:25:42 +0200 (CET)
Hello,

I've been working on bringing paravirtualized Xen support to Alpine Linux for a few weeks, and the result is running fine here.

Here is the current state of my work for review :

Small fixes (not Xen specific) needed for patch #6 :
0001-main-dahdi-linux-vserver-install-modules.patch
0002-main-iscsitarget-grsec-set-ksrc-in-package.patch

PV guest additions provided by Citrix for better integration in XenServer 5.5 :
0003-main-xe-guest-utilities-new-aport.patch

Create a /dev/cdrom for virtual cdrom device
0004-main-busybox-initscripts-add-xen-stuff-to-mdev.patch

CONFIG_586TSC and CONFIG_X86_PAE are needed to enable pvops Xen in mainline kernel, so I created a new kernel flavor aport : linux-pae
Grsecurity doesn't play nice with 2.6.32 32bits Xen code for the moment (see http://forums.grsecurity.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2063&start=75#p9653) so this patch is not enabled. The remaining is taken from the grsec flavor :
0005-main-linux-pae-new-aport.patch

Re-use existing aports to build dahdi-linux-pae and iscsitarget-pae (as already done in xtables-addons-grsec)
0006-main-dahdi-linux-vserver-iscsitarget-grsec-multi-fla.patch

Note I've put the linux-pae aport in main as it is easier to build dahdi-linux-pae, iscsitarget-pae and xtables-addons-pae from there. Maybe some hacking can be done to enable building them from testing.

I also worked on creating a bootable iso (by patching mkinitfs and alpine-iso), but this is not quite finished, so I'll post that part later.

Regards,
C├ędric Schieli