Re: [alpine-devel] Soekris 4801, alpine 2.0, kernel trouble

From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 17:08:08 +0200

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Jon Clausen <alpine_at_ymmv.dk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm in the process of setting up Alpine 2.0 as my main router/firewall.
>
> It's my first hike into "The Alps", so there's a lot to get used to, but
> overall I do like it :)

nice!

> Fortunately for me, I have two 4801's so I'm in a position to test stuff
> before I commit the system on the actual firewall hardware... which turns
> out to be very lucky indeed...
>

> The long story short:
>
> Booting the 2.6.32.18 kernel with the default parameters on the soekris
> results in a kernel panic.

not good.

> After trying out the kernels of alpine 2 beta-* and rc-* I found that:
>
> 2.6.32.15 boots ok
> 2.6.32.16 upwards 'panic'

This is very useful information.

form the git log, the only thing that changed really was support for EFI.

http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/log/main/linux-grsec?h=2.0-stable

> After searching the web I found a hint that 'noreplace-paravirt' had worked
> for someone else. So I tried adding that to the append line in syslinux.cfg
> - and lo and behold: Now the kernel boots :)

Thats interesting. I wonder how that could be?

Could you try the vserver iso image too? It has a different kernel,
without the grsecurity patches. The syslinux.cfg is broken so you'd
need enter 'vserver' at the boot prompt where it complains about
missing grsec.

> So far so good, except now I get:
>
> pci 0000:00:07.0: BAR 6: address space collision on of device
> [0x3f000000-0x3f00ffff]
> pci 0000:00:08.0: BAR 6: address space collision on of device
> [0x3f000000-0x3f00ffff]
>
> - which I'm somewhat unhappy about, since those are two of the three onboard
> NICs :(
> (Incidentally the 2.6.32.15 kernel also has these collisions)

I dont think those causes any problems.

> The thing is that this system is going to be pretty 'complicated', with a
> bunch of vlans, and I'll be needing the NICs.
>

> I'm not too sure how to proceed from here?

I just pushed 2.6.32.19 kernel. i doubt it makes any difference

> Do any of you have insights/experience about this kind of issue?

I have seen the address collision messages several places but it has
never caused any probles for me (that i am aware of at least)

> From what I've read so far, it may be related to:
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/39988/ and symptoms range from 'more or
> less cosmetic, no real problems' to 'complete system lockup'.
>
> Obviously I'm not too thrilled by the prospect of the latter potentially
> happening to my firewall... :P
>

> I have a serial console on the box, so it's pretty esay for me to 'grab' the
> output. In fact I've saved the output from booting the various kernels (with
> various kernel parameters) but I've nowhere public to put them ATM.
>
> They're about 7K-9K each. If anyone's interested, let me know?

The ones that panic would be interesting to see. Not sure how much i
can help there though.

> tia
> /jon
> --
> YMMV

> Help:         alpine-devel+help_at_lists.alpinelinux.org

Natanael Copa