Re: [alpine-devel] Suggestion on improvment

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:33:19 +0200

On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 12:05 +0000, Mika Havela wrote:
> Running setup-hostname basically only updates /etc/hostname
> But the system itself doesn't get updated unless you reboot the box.

or run /etc/init.d/hostname restart, like setup-alpine does.

> Only thing I can imagine would be a problem is that lbu would create
> duplicate overlays on lbu_media but otoh that problem gets back to yo
> I can see I sent a patch about this before, but I can't se it either got applied or commented.
> Anybody care to have a look at it - or reject it (please email your thoughts to alpine-devel mailing list).

setup-alpine does /etc/init.d/hostname restart to avoid the issue you
mention above. When I initiall wrote the setup-* scripts I had in mind
that you could run them against another root. Lets say you unpack an
apkovl or create a new apkvol, then you might wan set hostname for that
apkovl but not for the running system.