Re: [alpine-devel] Alpine 2.2

From: Cameron Banta <cbanta_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 08:19:25 -0600

On 11/10/2010 04:09 AM, Natanael Copa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So Alpine 2.1 is out and its time to start plan for alpine-2.2. Here are
> some of the things I would like to do for the 2.2 release, scheduled to
> May 2011.
>
> * x86_64 alpine port
> * java support (openjdk)
> * Go Lang support
> * llvm/clang support (maybe we can base alpine-3 completely on clang)
> * improve admin tools, setup-alpine, ACF, unattended installer etc
> * apk-tools: "install_if" (or "conditional groups")
> * lua binding to apk-tools
> * improve abuild (move dependency handling to lua code, build in empty
> chroot)
> * support for cross compiling in abuild?
> * autobuilding of edge snapshot iso images
> * improve testing / quality assurance
> * python3?
> * new version of uclibc, linux kernel, and lots of other new apps
> * Qt support
> * GNOME?
>
> Anything else?

Are there any thoughts on whether or not we need a tool to choose
default versions? For example, if we were to maintain and both Python2.6
and Python3, it would be nice to be able to choose which one is the
default.

We could probably port eselect or update-alternatives.

Or, to keep it simple, do we just support one version, or only allow one
of those packages to be installed at one time?

> If there are some of the above (or something else) you would like to
> work on, please fell free to let me know. I have various of the above
> stuff partially done already.
>
> If you have some ideas please feel free to send feedback. I'm specially
> interested in ideas what we can do to improve the admin tools,
> setup-alpine, setup-disk and quality assurance.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -nc

-Cameron