Re: [alpine-devel] Alpine 2.2

From: Nathan Angelacos <nangel_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:32:30 +0000

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 11:09:10 +0100
Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> * improve admin tools, setup-alpine, ACF, unattended installer etc

From http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2010/08/23/alpine-linux-2-review/

Like a default installation of Alpine Linux, the Browser-based
management interface is very basic, lacking features needed to
configure aspects of some of the services and applications. Most of
what you will accomplish on Alpine will be from the command line
(console or remote access via ssh).

If you are a power user, or want to be one, the browser-based
management interface, while intuitive to use, will be a secondary
management tool. Most of the serious stuff you will be doing will be
from the command line.

ACF is now several years old, and still described as "Basic".

There are two basic types of ACFs:

Configuration (setting up networking, dnsmasq, etc)
Application (OpenSSL Certificate Authority)

Personally, like the author of the review, I use ssh for
configuration. But but use ACF for the applications.

I wonder if we go for a "less is more" approach on ACF, and provide the
something like the current "Expert" tab for all configuration.
Basically, give a web interface to the config files.

And then focus on ACF Applications (e.g. setup-alpine, setup-disk)