[alpine-devel] system groups

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 15:19:43 +0000

Hi,

We have introduced a special system group with gid 700. All users in
this group will have permission to see all processes, network info and
kernel symbols. The purpose of this is to have monitorig software like
zabbix and nagios agents running as users that are in this group.

I will update alpine-baselayout (which has not been touched for years)
with a new group, called 'readproc', which will be used for gid 700.

While here, are there other standard system groups that are missing in
our default /etc/groups? What about 'netdev' (for avahi),
'messagebus' (for dbus) etc. Should any be removed?

The current list is:
root:x:0:root
bin:x:1:root,bin,daemon
daemon:x:2:root,bin,daemon