[alpine-devel] grsecurity RBAC for Alpine 2.2

William Pitcock <nenolod@dereferenced.org>
<20110202205941.4c8ce4ff@petrie>
hi,

i've been working on setting up RBAC integration for alpine 2.2, which
we can then enable by default in e.g. setup-alpine.

the plan is to have as /etc/grsec/policy:

include_dir /etc/grsec/policy.d

which allows packages to ship grsec policy files
in /etc/grsec/policy.d, e.g. /etc/grsec/policy.d/openssh
and /etc/grsec/policy.d/busybox containing RBAC policy considerations
for those packages.

this will make alpine even more locked down as UID=0 becomes basically
meaningless if the RBAC system is enabled.  in combination with our
other security measures, this should be an entirely overkill solution
for everybody's needs.

in setup-alpine we will do the following:

- prompt if the user wants to enable role-based access control
- if the user says yes, we will create a default admin role and prompt
  for a password and enable the grsec-rbac initscript at boottime.
- if the user says no, then we do nothing...

considerations:

- should we only allow RBAC on server and embedded targets for 2.2?
  (e.g. not on desktop installs; this means setup-desktop disables the
  grsec-rbac initscript for 2.2)

i'm presently working on the initscript and gradm integration, then
i'll put gradm in main.  once i have gradm in main, i'll commit package
updates adding policy bits to the core packages (openssh, udev,
busybox, so on.)

- nenolod

<20110203132254.5f1ebbef@alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<20110202205941.4c8ce4ff@petrie> (view parent)
On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 20:59:41 -0600
William Pitcock <nenolod@dereferenced.org> wrote:

> hi,
>
> i've been working on setting up RBAC integration for alpine 2.2, which
> we can then enable by default in e.g. setup-alpine.

nice!

> the plan is to have as /etc/grsec/policy:
>
> include_dir /etc/grsec/policy.d
>
> which allows packages to ship grsec policy files
> in /etc/grsec/policy.d, e.g. /etc/grsec/policy.d/openssh
> and /etc/grsec/policy.d/busybox containing RBAC policy considerations
> for those packages.
>
> this will make alpine even more locked down as UID=0 becomes basically
> meaningless if the RBAC system is enabled.  in combination with our
> other security measures, this should be an entirely overkill solution
> for everybody's needs.

cool!

I'm mostly afraid of the maintenance burden for the RBAC rules, but I
like the idea of an extra layer of protection.

> in setup-alpine we will do the following:
>
> - prompt if the user wants to enable role-based access control
> - if the user says yes, we will create a default admin role and prompt
>   for a password and enable the grsec-rbac initscript at boottime.
> - if the user says no, then we do nothing...
>
> considerations:
>
> - should we only allow RBAC on server and embedded targets for 2.2?
>   (e.g. not on desktop installs; this means setup-desktop disables the
>   grsec-rbac initscript for 2.2)

I think RBAC should be disabled by default for desktop but it should be
possible to enable it. I suppose dbus services might cause some
headache.

> i'm presently working on the initscript and gradm integration, then
> i'll put gradm in main.  once i have gradm in main, i'll commit
> package updates adding policy bits to the core packages (openssh,
> udev, busybox, so on.)

thanks for working on this.