Re: [alpine-devel] Alpine linux review

From: William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 20:59:15 -0600

Hi Ted,

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 06:47:49 -0800 (PST)
Ted Trask <ttrask01_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Very nice review.
>
> Natanael, I would like to work more on the cli interface to ACF, but
> I'm not sure of the best approach. One exists basically because I
> needed it for my own needs, but it has some serious flaws. Perhaps we
> could have a design discussion when you get back to make the cli
> actually usable.

Natanael and I were talking about redoing the installer as a framework
invoking components of ACF. Then the installer-specific packages would
be ACF components with specific prompts stored in the Model.

I think the CLI should basically run through the model rendering the
content as prompts. We could then build a GTK+ based view using
lua's gobject binding module which is maintained by Natanael, which
would allow us to have a nice little "Install to HDD" icon you could
doubleclick on the Desktop livecd build of Alpine.

This would allow us to have one single 'setup-alpine' application for
doing the install on the CLI, and then a 'setup-alpine-gtk' application
which would be the GTK version for Desktop livecd. It wouldn't be too
much of a stretch then to build gtk+ to work with directfb and have a
graphical installer that was standalone too.

William