Re: [alpine-devel] Organizing Alpine Linux project

From: Jeremy Thomerson <jeremy_at_thomersonfamily.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 22:51:33 -0600

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So, we have experienced a growth recently and I think its about time that
> we try have some official organization structure. I would like to try avoid
> bureaucracy and strict rules. We want this to be a fun place to be.
>
> Here is what I propose:
>
> We define the Alpine Linux goal.
> Suggestion:
> Provide an operating system that is (in priority order):
> 1) Secure
> 2) Small/non-bloated
> 3) Simple
> 4) Fast
>
> Of course there are trade-offs so consider the above as a general guideline
> rather than a strict rule.
>
> We split us up in the following teams/subprojects:
> * Infrastructure Team
> * Developer Team
> * Documentation Team
>
> We also need a Security Team, but I'll come back to that later.
>
> = Infrastructure Team =
> The goal is to provide and maintain the needed hardware and services that
> are needed to keep the Alpine Linux project running. This includes web
> sites, bugtracker, mail servers, mailing lists, IRC channels etc. As long as
> it possible and makes sense we want use Alpine Linux for this. We should eat
> our own dog food.
>
> Currently its nangel that is the (un)official coordinator. I think we have
> many candidates for people to join this team: clandmeter, jbilyk.
>
> Please let me know if you want help setup and run our infrastructure.

I think for the next year or so at least, I will have more time to help with
this, and wouldn't mind assisting nangel, et al with whatever I can.

> = Developer Team =
> They do the developing work, build packages, bootscripts, installer,
> package manager, etc. We can probably divide this in subteams/subprojects
> later. For example package maintainers can be splitted up in maintainer
> teams like "kernel maintainers", "base libs (uclibc)", "python team", "perl
> team", etc. We will probably also have a Release Team and a "stable
> maintainers" that comes here under.
>
> I suggest me as coordinator for this team. Those who have commit access are
> automatically members here.

I won't be much help with the kernel stuff, but wouldn't mind helping with
any java-oriented packages specifically. I'm a java junkie. I've created a
few general packages as well that I'll try to maintain better than I have
been.

> = Documentation Team =
> Are responsible for the official documentation. (current in wiki)
> I suggest mattx86 as team coordinator here. Is this ok?
> There are many candidates for team members. (jbilyk, mhavela, etc)
>
> = Security Team =
> I think we need a security team which follows sec lists and figures out
> what packages that are vulnerable to us. They create tickets and kicks the
> developers in the rear part til they have fixed the issue. Ilemme Haave that
> offered do this but have been totally missing so currently there is nobody
> doing this important job so volunteers are welcome.
>
> Please let me know if you are interested beeing a part of the security team
> or want be the security team coordinator.
>
> I suggest that all team members gets an official _at_alpinelinux.org email
> address. We probably don't need to do mail hosting for this but can forward
> to our current email addresses.
>
> We could also have Marketing team, Recruitment team and Art team but I
> think its better we start small.
>
> If you feel you belong to the team or feel for be a coordinator of a team,
> please let me know. I would prefer that the team coordinators are active
> involved and reasonable responsive on requests.
>
> Maybe each team should have a subproject in the bugtracker? Maybe we should
> have a separate email list for each team?

Subproject in the bug tracker would be useful for pulling up a list of "what
I need to work through". In my monitoring of this mailing list, I don't
think we need separate mailing lists for them (yet).

> Other ideas, thougts?

Jeremy Thomerson