[alpine-devel] more on setup-apkrepos

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 16:37:34 +0100

 Hi,

 I'd like to iron how the setup-apkrepos should work. this is a stopper
 for alpine-conf-2.6 so some feedback is appreciated.

 I have done some minor cleanups and simplifications in the code. Most
 of the should not have any visible effect on execution.

 I still have a few things I think we should change though.

 * Too many questions are asked. I just want add a http repo. The
 setup-* scripts should give the end user what he wants as quick as
 possible and then get out of the way.

 First I get (from setup-alpine):
 Setup internet apk repositories? [y/N]?

 This could be avoided by adding it as an option to next step (select
 method: 'none' or 'done')

 Then I get the question:

 How would you like to set up internet apk repositories?

 I think this question is needed. I pick 'f' for automatically find
 fastest.

 Then I get:

 System release is: edge. Change? (i.e., to upgrade) [y/N]:

 well, we dont really support downgrades and I already run edge. This
 question should never have been asked. I select 'N'

 Then I get yet another question:

 Do you want to enable the testing repository? [y/N]:

 I pick 'N' for now.

 Now I get yet another question.
 Do you want to update repository indexes?
 (You must be connected when using remote repositories.) [y/N]:

 I think we dont need to ask for this. If we have any remote repos we
 can just update it. If there are no remotes there is no reason to ask.

 I pick 'y'

 Finally done!

 phew.

 I got 5 questions. We need get that number down to 1 or maximum 2.

 oh... what if I wanted to just add a http repo for updates + my home
 made repo? Then I'd need to re-run the setup-apkrepos. I run
 setup-apkrepos.

 How would you like to set up internet apk repositories?
 I pick 'e' for enter manually.

 Before adding custom mirrors, do you want to clear
 /etc/apk/repositories and start fresh? [y/n]:

 hum, what question is that? and if I dont remember what I had in
 /etc/apk/repositories? Then I have to ctrl-c, cat the contents and
 re-run the script. Here I cannot pick default either if unsure. I must
 make a decision.

 I want keep my previous run so i pick 'n'

 Now I get what I was wanted.
 Please enter a local path or URL to the mirror:

 I enter /home/ncopa/.cache/apks

 Do you want to add another mirror? [y/n]:
 This is actually good, but we could combine that with the above
 question:

 Enter a local path or URL to the mirror to add (or 'done') [done]:

 Again I get the
 Do you want to update repository indexes?
 (You must be connected when using remote repositories.) [y/N]: y
 Updating repository indexes... done.

 I start to think that we coudl just drop that question and just try
 update the index. If its not connected to internet the user have most
 likely chosed to not setup the apkrepos at all and/or error message
 displayed will be kind of expected.

 Any ideas how we reduce number of questions and try make the script get
 out of the way?