Re: [alpine-devel] more on setup-apkrepos

From: Jeff Bilyk <jbilyk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 11:30:42 -0500

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to iron how the setup-apkrepos should work. this is a stopper for
> alpine-conf-2.6 so some feedback is appreciated.
>
> I have done some minor cleanups and simplifications in the code. Most of the
> should not have any visible effect on execution.
>
> I still have a few things I think we should change though.
>
> * Too many questions are asked. I just want add a http repo. The setup-*
> scripts should give the end user what he wants as quick as possible and then
> get out of the way.
>
> First I get (from setup-alpine):
> Setup internet apk repositories? [y/N]?
>
> This could be avoided by adding it as an option to next step (select method:
> 'none' or 'done')
I like it.

> Then I get the question:
>
> How would you like to set up internet apk repositories?
>
> I think this question is needed. I pick 'f' for automatically find fastest.
>
> Then I get:
>
> System release is: edge.  Change? (i.e., to upgrade) [y/N]:
>
> well, we dont really support downgrades and I already run edge. This
> question should never have been asked. I select 'N'
I harmony with keeping script simple, how about always setup
repositories for current release?

> Then I get yet another question:
>
> Do you want to enable the testing repository? [y/N]:
>
> I pick 'N' for now.
Regular users most likely aren't a) running edge and b) need testing
repos, so we could probably always add this in commented.

> Now I get yet another question.
> Do you want to update repository indexes?
> (You must be connected when using remote repositories.) [y/N]:
>
> I think we dont need to ask for this. If we have any remote repos we can
> just update it. If there are no remotes there is no reason to ask.
We could always *try* to update and if it fails, it fails.

> I pick 'y'
>
> Finally done!
>
> phew.
>
> I got 5 questions. We need get that number down to 1 or maximum 2.
>
> oh... what if I wanted to just add a http repo for updates + my home made
> repo? Then I'd need to re-run the setup-apkrepos. I run setup-apkrepos.
>
> How would you like to set up internet apk repositories?
> I pick 'e' for enter manually.
>
> Before adding custom mirrors, do you want to clear
> /etc/apk/repositories and start fresh? [y/n]:
>
> hum, what question is that? and if I dont remember what I had in
> /etc/apk/repositories? Then I have to ctrl-c, cat the contents and re-run
> the script. Here I cannot pick default either if unsure. I must make a
> decision.
How about always preserving existing repos and then appending changes
made through setup-apkrepos?

> I want keep my previous run so i pick 'n'
>
> Now I get what I was wanted.
> Please enter a local path or URL to the mirror:
>
> I enter /home/ncopa/.cache/apks
>
> Do you want to add another mirror? [y/n]:
> This is actually good, but we could combine that with the above question:
>
> Enter a local path or URL to the mirror to add (or 'done') [done]:
IMHO developpers who need to add a custom repo probably can just add
the line to /etc/apk/repositories manually.

> Again I get the
> Do you want to update repository indexes?
> (You must be connected when using remote repositories.) [y/N]: y
> Updating repository indexes... done.
>
> I start to think that we coudl just drop that question and just try update
> the index. If its not connected to internet the user have most likely chosed
> to not setup the apkrepos at all and/or error message displayed will be kind
> of expected.
>
> Any ideas how we reduce number of questions and try make the script get out
> of the way?
>
> -nc
>

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe_at_lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help_at_lists.alpinelinux.org

Jeff