Re: [alpine-devel] more on setup-apkrepos

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 18:11:29 +0100

Sorry if i sounded un-satisfied with what has been done with
setup-apkrepos. I do appreciate the hard work that has been put in
there. We just need to optimize it a bit ;)

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 11:30:42 -0500
Jeff Bilyk <jbilyk_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Natanael Copa
> <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:
> > Setup internet apk repositories? [y/N]?
> >
> > This could be avoided by adding it as an option to next step
> > (select method: 'none' or 'done')
> I like it.

> > System release is: edge.  Change? (i.e., to upgrade) [y/N]:
> >
> > well, we dont really support downgrades and I already run edge. This
> > question should never have been asked. I select 'N'
>
> I harmony with keeping script simple, how about always setup
> repositories for current release?

agree.

> > Then I get yet another question:
> >
> > Do you want to enable the testing repository? [y/N]:
> >
> > I pick 'N' for now.
>
> Regular users most likely aren't a) running edge and b) need testing
> repos, so we could probably always add this in commented.

Never thought of that. Great idea! We could actually always add in edge
commented too.

> > Now I get yet another question.
> > Do you want to update repository indexes?
> > (You must be connected when using remote repositories.) [y/N]:
> >
> > I think we dont need to ask for this. If we have any remote repos
> > we can just update it. If there are no remotes there is no reason
> > to ask.
> We could always *try* to update and if it fails, it fails.

exactly.

> > I pick 'y'
> >
> > Finally done!
> >
> > phew.
> >
> > I got 5 questions. We need get that number down to 1 or maximum 2.
> >
> > oh... what if I wanted to just add a http repo for updates + my
> > home made repo? Then I'd need to re-run the setup-apkrepos. I run
> > setup-apkrepos.
> >
> > How would you like to set up internet apk repositories?
> > I pick 'e' for enter manually.
> >
> > Before adding custom mirrors, do you want to clear
> > /etc/apk/repositories and start fresh? [y/n]:
> >
> > hum, what question is that? and if I dont remember what I had in
> > /etc/apk/repositories? Then I have to ctrl-c, cat the contents and
> > re-run the script. Here I cannot pick default either if unsure. I
> > must make a decision.
> How about always preserving existing repos and then appending changes
> made through setup-apkrepos?

yeah that was about what i came to too after a bit thinking.

> > I want keep my previous run so i pick 'n'
> >
> > Now I get what I was wanted.
> > Please enter a local path or URL to the mirror:
> >
> > I enter /home/ncopa/.cache/apks
> >
> > Do you want to add another mirror? [y/n]:
> > This is actually good, but we could combine that with the above
> > question:
> >
> > Enter a local path or URL to the mirror to add (or 'done') [done]:
> IMHO developpers who need to add a custom repo probably can just add
> the line to /etc/apk/repositories manually.

Agree. We can give the option to edit the /etc/apk/repositories
directly.

Thanks alot for the feedback!

So, I think something like this:

Currently confirued APK repositories:
<list from /etc/apk/repositories>

Available apk repository mirrors:
1) http://...
2) http://...
f) Autodetect fastest mirror
r) Pick a random mirror
e) Edit /etc/apk/repositories manually
Enter URL or path to add (or 1-9/f/r/e or 'done') [f]:

<presses enter>

Finding fastest mirror... using distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr

Currently confirued APK repositories:
<list from /etc/apk/repositories>

Available apk repository mirrors:
1) http://...
2) http://...
f) Autodetect fastest mirror
r) Pick a random mirror
e) Edit /etc/apk/repositories manually
Enter URL or path to add (or 1-9/f/r/e or 'done') [done]:

So second time it sets 'done' as default. That way you can just press
<enter> twice and youre done.

If you have a local/internal repo you can just type the url directly
and <enter><enter>

If you want upgrade to edge or run testing you type: <enter>e<enter> and
remove the appripiate comment(s).

Everybody wins!

Unless somebody beats me I'll try implement the above tomorrow.