Re: [alpine-devel] Why? ACF - million repos </sarcasm>

From: Ted Trask <ttrask01_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 06:14:07 -0700 (PDT)

1) Having one ACF git repo would save me some work when updating multiple packages / releases, but it would add some overhead too. I have a tendency to have unfinished work (uncommitted) on some packages while working on others. Since git has only one stash (right?), it would be more difficult for me to maintain my tree. 2) Also, building would be difficult. What tag would abuild pull? Some packages will have untagged (not for release) mods that are older than tagged (for release) mods for other packages. Would abuild pull separate tags from the repo for each package? 3) We should avoid breaking the old builds for earlier versions of alpine. Leave the old repos, but only use a new, merged repo? I'm a bit gunshy since the last git updates broke all of the aports for packages hosted on git.a.o. So, I'm ok with moving to one git repo, but it sounds like quite a complication for abuild. And, I'm not going to be the one that has to implement it. Ted ----- Original Message ---- From: Timo Teräs <timo.teras_at_iki.fi> To: Ted Trask <ttrask01_at_yahoo.com> Cc: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>; jeremy_at_thomersonfamily.com; Alpine-devel <alpine-devel_at_lists.alpinelinux.org> Sent: Thu, March 31, 2011 8:53:49 AM Subject: Re: [alpine-devel] Why? ACF - million repos </sarcasm> On 03/31/2011 03:48 PM, Ted Trask wrote: > Yes, the reason there are lots of repositories is for ease of releasing > packages. When they're separate, they can be released separately with different > > versions. It can be annoying when I need to update a bunch of packages at the > same time, like I did yesterday. But, that's pretty rare. Usually when I make a > > major rev bump on core and have to update all affected ACFs. I really dislike the multiple acf repos too. Would it be possible to instead have abuild do subpackage version based on the sources? That we would not have the downsides ncopa mentioned earlier. This would also ease the tagging, cloning and setting up of non .apk based acf tree. Because now you have to do multiple checkouts and create multiple links to make the thing work from git checkout. My vote would be to improve abuild to have version number override on per-subpackage basis. That way single tag of main acf.git would automatically re-build the updated source packages. - Timo