Re: [alpine-devel] Why? ACF - million repos </sarcasm>

From: Timo Teräs <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 17:06:44 +0300

On 03/31/2011 04:48 PM, Ted Trask wrote:
> If I have to tag the entire tree for a release, I don't like it.
>
> The reason they were put in separate repos was so that development could be done
> independently. If I have to start doing lots of branching so I can release one
> package and continue working on another, I don't think it's worth it.

Ok. If you want separate releases, then they need to be in separate git
repos. That's the boundary when to split repos.

You should still fix the repositories so, that I can do git checkout of
the core, and git checkout of the submodules I'm editing, and I get
working tree (without make install). This basically means removing the
relative symlinks (preferably, not using symlinks at all). Those put a
lot of assumptions on how things are on disk. It makes developing
directly out of acf-*.git hard.

Rethinking, I think my biggest annoyance is that in-tree development
does not work currently. Not that it's split repositories.

> Separate independent repos for separate independent packages.

There's still some other inter mixed relations we should fix. E.g.
acf-core depends hostname module which is found from
acf-alpine-baselayout. I think hostname should be moved to acf-core.

Additionally, we should start to maintain versioned dependencies. E.g.
each acf says which acf-core version is minimum requirement.