Re: [alpine-devel] [RFC] package name policy change

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 08:21:00 +0200

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 22:34:13 +0200
Paul Onyschuk <blink_at_bojary.koba.pl> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 20:42:25 +0200
> Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:
>

> > Other comments?
> >

> What naming for those packages you suggest? For C++ related things
> using "pp" is pretty obvious (e.g. libgc++ -> libgcpp). And simple
> "+" should be changed to plus (e.g. gtk+ -> gtkplus)?

What does in mean in practice. Good point.

I'm looking to what others do. Seems like debian/ubuntu allows + in the
name. Fedora too (so i assume all rpm based allows it).

The approx list is (-dev and -doc excluded):

libgc++
g++
libstdc++
gtk+
gtk+2.0
gtk+3.0
imagemagick-c++
libsigc++
tolua++
uclibc++

renaming g++ -> gpp will not work since there are another gpp
(http://en.nothingisreal.com/wiki/GPP)

libstdcpp is just ugly libstdcplusplus too.

gtk+ -> gtk works
gtk+2.0 -> gtk2 works
gtk+3.0 -> gtk3 works
imagemagick-c++ -> imagemagic-cpp might work
libsigcpp -> libsigcpp is ugly libsigcplusplus too.
tolua++ -> toluapp wont work. toluaplusplus is even worse.
uclibc++ can be removed.

hum... maybe it was not a good idea after all?

> +1 (my vote probably doesn't count anyway, I'm just sharing my
> opinion). Packages with wird naming aren't popular, so it should be
> easy to fix and maintain.

Things like libstdc++ and imagemagick-c++ makes more sense than the
alternatives somehow.

Unless someone comes up with some good alternative to the above list I
think we'll just keep it as it is and will have to urlencode when
needed.

How about we allow + and disallow the others?

The will something like this work:
encoded_url=${url//+/%2B}