Re: [alpine-devel] kernels and booting

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 17:15:02 +0200

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011 16:03:52 +0200
Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Aug 2011 15:53:09 +0200
> Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:
>

> > Now my laptop is also unbootable so I have disabled the syslinux
> > trigger
>
> I just realized that this will break all current boxes too... because
> all current extlinux.conf has the full path instead of the
> vmlinuz-grsec symlink.
>
> And I am short on time for fixing it. ARGH!
>
> Please! How do we get out of this mess? We need something that works
> *NOW* - before people upgrades to the kernel I just pushed...

Sorry if i sounded harsh. Just got a bit strerssed up.

I think the proper way is to fix update-extlinux, which after
reading the sources, is indeed a very nice tool.

I think we also want some upgrade scripts and try to import the
alpine-2.2 generated + manual stuff. I think we could try parse the
current extlinux.conf and fish out the interesting parts
to /etc/update-extlinux.d/ where we put the rest of the local
customizations.

And i think we should rename /etc/extlinux.conf
to /etc/update-extlinux.conf

I think I will have a little time to look at it tonight.