[alpine-devel] Xen extlinux.conf

From: Florian Heigl <florian.heigl_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 14:40:21 +0200

Hi all,

I'm still doing my first steps on AlpineLinux (but already am very
happy with it and already recommended it to a few friends as "the one
non-broken linux distro"

I want to build a Xne host right now and noticed that apk add xen
didn't yet enable Xen to boot. I found extlinux.conf and now tried to
make it load Xen. I used a few lines found at the Citrix forums.
Actually, that seems to have worked insofar as I see Xen booting, and
even the dom0 kernel boots. Unfortunately I don't get a VGA console
though :)

The entry looks like this:
label xen
        kernel mboot.c32
        append /boot/xen-4.gz dom0_mem=256M vga=mode-0x0311 ---
/boot/vmlinuz-grsec root=UUID=779aafd4-0a13-4656-abe7-8d3b92557b66
modules=sd-mod,usb-storage,ext4 vga=785 quiet ---
/boot/initramfs-grsec

I could imagine that
- the vga lines are incorrect
- i specified the initrd wrong
- that i need to load some more modules (xencons? xen net/block drivers?)
- I'm missing something else on the kernel line and no console is ever
brought up.

Please: Can you let me know how you set up your extlinux config?

Also, how do you use the coffee making feature of apk? It seems undocumented!

Florian

--
the purpose of libvirt is to provide an abstraction layer hiding all
xen features added since 2006 until they were finally understood and